There’s no place like home when it comes to healing the body. Our feet can pose some painful issues for us to deal with as we work them hard throughout the day. The pain can come by way of spurs, strains and stress. Here are some ways that you can help your feet stay healthy right from home and possibly avoid the two most common heel injuries.
The symptoms for plantar fasciitis are most pronounced in the morning when you take your first step out of bed. You feel immediate pain as you place your heels down on the floor and the pain can be significant, which is why treatment may be the best way to ensure less pain as you wake in the morning and face your day.
- STRETCH ~ when you stretch the fascia muscle you are halfway there. Flexibility can prevent this ailment from ever happening.
- RESET ~ Taping the foot gives instant relief of symptoms and reduces some of the pain under the heel.
- REST ~ gives your body a chance to calm down and chill out from all the pain you just put it through by walking or exercising with inflamed tissue.
A calcium deposit that causes a bony protrusion on the bottom of the heel bone is called a spur. Most times they are painless but if aggravated, it can cause pain to the heel making it difficult to walk. They are more common with athletes that run and jump constantly during their game. However, there are some things you can to do to stop the progression of a spur.
- EXERCISE ~ keeps things moving and reduce the chance of calcium deposits to settle in the heel.
- CORTISONE ~ these injections go straight to the problem by way of a needle and are very specific and effective in reducing the symptoms.
- MEDICATION ~ with your doctor’s supervision, can provide temporary relief.
If you feel like a house has been dropped on your heels, we encourage you to call Daniel Drapacz DPM at New York Foot Experts at 212-385-0801 in New York City to make an appointment. We have offices in New York City; 7th Avenue (Mid-Town), Broadway (Financial District – Wall Street), 125th Street (Upper West Side – Harlem). Call and get your feet out from under all that pain and go home.